January 29, 2019 Special Session
NORTH CAROLINA – MITCHELL COUNTY
The Mitchell County Board of Commissioners met in Special Session on January 29, 2019, at 5:30 p.m. in the Commissioner’s Conference Room, Administration Building, Bakersville, NC. Those present for the meeting were: Danny Burleson, Chairman; Vern Grindstaff, Vice-Chairman; Jeff Harding, Member; Steve Pitman, Member; Jacob Willis, Member; and Kathy Young, County Manager.
- CALL TO ORDER – Chairman Burleson called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m.
- INVOCATION – Commissioner Grindstaff gave the invocation.
- PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE – Commissioner Harding led the Pledge of Allegiance.
- ETHICS AWARENESS AND CONFLICT OF INTEREST REMINDER:
In accordance with the State Government Ethics Act, it is the duty of every Board member to avoid both conflicts of interest and appearance of conflict. Does any board member have any known conflicts of interest or appearances of conflict with respect to any matters coming before the Board? If so, please identify the conflict or appearance of conflict and refrain from any undue participation in the particular matter involved.
- CLOSED SESSION – Commissioner Willis moved to enter into Closed Session in accordance with NCGS §143‑318.11 (a) (6) which reads as follows: To consider the qualifications, competence, performance, character, fitness, conditions of appointment, or conditions of initial employment of an individual public officer or employee or prospective public officer or employee; or to hear or investigate a complaint, charge, or grievance by or against an individual public officer or employee. General personnel policy issues may not be considered in a closed session. A public body may not consider the qualifications, competence, performance, character, fitness, appointment, or removal of a member of the public body or another body and may not consider or fill a vacancy among its own membership except in an open meeting. Final action making an appointment or discharge or removal by a public body having final authority for the appointment or discharge or removal shall be taken in an open meeting. Commissioner Harding seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
Commissioner Grindstaff moved to go out of Closed Session. Commissioner Pitman seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
Closed Session was held from 5:31 p.m. until 7:20 p.m.
No action was taken after the Closed Session.
- ADJOURNMENT – Commissioner Pitman moved to adjourn the meeting. Commissioner Grindstaff seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
The meeting adjourned at 7:21 p.m.