May 28, 2019 Special Session
The Mitchell County Board of Commissioners met in Special Session on May 28, 2019, at 6:00 p.m. in the Commissioner’s Conference Room, Administration Building, Bakersville, NC. Those present for the meeting were: Danny Burleson, Chairman; Vern Grindstaff, Vice-Chairman; Jeff Harding, Member; Jacob Willis, Member; and Kathy Young, County Manager. Commissioner Pitman was absent from the meeting. Also present were: Mavis Parsley, Finance Director; and Cory Spiers, Reporter with the Mitchell News Journal.
- CALL TO ORDER – Chairman Burleson called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
- INVOCATION – Rocky Buchanan gave the invocation.
- ETHICS AWARENESS AND CONFLICT OF INTEREST REMINDER:
In accordance with the State Government Ethics Act, it is the duty of every Board member to avoid both conflicts of interest and appearance of conflict. Does any board member have any known conflicts of interest or appearances of conflict with respect to any matters coming before the Board? If so, please identify the conflict or appearance of conflict and refrain from any undue participation in the particular matter involved.
- CLOSED SESSION– Commissioner Grindstaff moved to enter into a Closed Session in accordance with N.C.G.S. 143‑318.11(a)(4) which reads as follows: To discuss matters relating to the location or expansion of industries or other businesses in the area served by the public body, including agreement on a tentative list of economic development incentives that may be offered by the public body in negotiations. The action approving the signingof an economic development contract or commitment, or the action authorizing the payment of economic development expenditures, shall be taken in an open session. Commissioner Harding seconded the motion and it carried unanimously. Chairman Burleson invited the Spruce Pine Town Council members, Van Phillips, Keith Holtsclaw, Richard Canipe, Crystal Young and Darlene Butler to attend the Closed Session.
Commissioner Grindstaff moved to go out of Closed Session. Commissioner Willis seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
Closed Session was held from 6:03 p.m. until 7:35 p.m.
- ADJOURNMENT– Commissioner Hardingmoved to adjourn the meeting.
Commissioner Willis seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
The meeting adjourned at 7:35 p.m.